Copyright © Field Lily Press
Design by Dzignine

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Wisdom vs. Do's and Dont's

This morning as I read Hebrews 13, my mind went back to the words I've heard so many say, even those who have "abandoned" their faith, that Christianity is just a bunch of do's and don'ts. Let's take a peek at chapter thirteen. I made a few underlines of phrases which might support that view, and here they are:

1. Let brotherly love continue
2. Show hospitality
3. Remember those who are in prison
4. Let marriage be held in honor
5. Let the marriage bed be undefiled
6. Keep your life free from love of money
7. Be content with what you have
8. Remember your leaders
9. Imitate their faith
10. Don't be led away by diverse and strange teachings
11. Let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God
12. Do not neglect to do good
13. Share what you have
14. Obey your leaders
15. Submit to them
16. Pray
I was awakened as I read this chapter. I was reminded that there are attributes which ought to characterize my life as a Christian, and this chapter summarizes some of those exhortations in list form. Call them do's and dont's if you wish but I believe a better word choice is wisdom. A wise individual can take a list such as the one from Hebrews 13 and ask themselves, "Does this describe me? Am I this kind of person as a Christian?"

Walk gladly on the path of wisdom. Be willing to inspect yourself, Allow God to kindly show you where you've deviated from His heart which is to be reflected in us. Psalm 139 begins with the words, "You have searched me," and it ends with, "Search me, O God."  May our days fall willingly  within these lines.

2 comments:

Susan said...

So happy to see you post one of your inspiring skills with words, thought & HEART.

Kathy said...

Thank you, Susan. I'm wanting to write more here; blurbs on Facebook, but fuller-thought posts here.