Copyright © Field Lily Press
Design by Dzignine

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We're Back

We had a wonderful time on our vacation. We are all tired, our bodies are time-zone confused, and there is a pile of laundry to be done after we unpack. There are pictures to post and stories to be told. But one of the things we are most excited about is that today we start back to school for the year! Our two week start of summer break has ended. I wish I had a scribe to record Bethany's joy when I told her Gramma that we would start back to school today. Yahoo was the word, if I recall correctly. Daniel, being more conservative in his feelings, watched quietly as sister cornered the market on enthusiasm.

I thought it would be fun to do a little bit of back to school shopping for the kids to help things along, so last night I made a fun dash to Target and gathered all the makings for a Back to School bag for the children. Each bag included: a new pair of shoes, a composition notebook, a new mechanical pencil with a refill, a new pair of scissors, a new pencil sharpener for the days the mechanical pencil is out of lead, True To Life Twistable Crayons, a glue stick, and a pack of Pink Bubblegum. Just had to throw that in there! Last but not least was a Welcome Back to School note from Danny who is flying today. So, here are the pictures of the kids on their first day of school for this new year.



What I have learned and observed today so far: Kids love new things. Some children will cry if the loop is too big on their first pair of tie-shoes (re-enter time-zone confused body complete with emotions!). Discipline still happens even on the first day of school. Pancakes smooth the rough spots, and learning that the favorite part of Daniel's Back To School Bag was "the love" that was in it. I'm ready to start the day now!

9 comments:

Mari said...

Glad you had a nice break (Although 2 weeks is too short!) :)
I like your back to school bags!

Susan said...

Glad you are home safe and sound and had a good time.

You are such a good mother. What a great idea to spur their eagerness with the Back to School items. Especially including the bubble gum!!!!
Susan

Kathy said...

Mari-poor Bethany was too bored to take a longer one. Our summer schedule will be somewhat leisurly I hope! : )

Susan, nice to hear your voice! I too thought the bubble gum made the whole package complete! One of the pluses of humeschooling! : )

Elizabeth said...

Being able to chew gum in class is definitely a plus! Now you've really go me excited! Glad you guys are back:)

Kathy said...

My thoughts exactly Liz! Gum in school is cool at our house!

Danny Wright said...

I can feel the enthusiasm! Whis I could be there

Kathy said...

Thanks for the notes to the kids Danny. Bethany has carried hers with her all day in her pencil case.

kymber said...

I miss those wonderful days of homeschooling - breaking open the books for the new school year - Everyone full of enthusiam for what lay ahead!

Great idea for the school bags! I am sure your kids appreciate all of the little touches that you do for them. I agree with Susan - you ARE such a beautiful mother to your kids and they are quite blessed to have you as their mother and teacher.
Happy first day of school!
Warmly,
Kymber

Kathy said...

Kymber, please pray for those of us who are still in the midst. You're a hero to those of us who are. : )